Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Still in Connecticut, having little luck with museums!!!


Hello Fellow Wayward Travelers!!!

Have you ever had one of those days where it started just the way you expected and wanted and then went downhill from there!!!??? That was today for me!!!  I had plans on visiting some interesting museums and even found a new and exciting one to visit, then after the first museum, my plan quit working!!!

My day started by me finding a visitor’s center that was open and the lady in it was very helpful! She gave me a few brochures on what I wanted to see and even told me about a submarine that I could tour!!! So, off I went full of optimism and with the hunting spirit for a few good museums!!!

My first museum was The Connecticut Trolley Museum. It has about three active and working trolleys from the early 1930's or so and a bunch that are in various stages of refurbishment. The kids really like this place because you can ride the trolleys around a track (I didn’t because I would rather spent time reading the stories behind the trolleys. The museum was small, but I think the best part was a 30 minute, or so, movie about the history of trolleys and how and why they are becoming extinct (maybe)!!! Here are a few photos of the trolleys ---

 
 
 
 
 




This museum also had a warehouse of old fire trucks!! They are all in working order and just looking at them will turn you in to a child wanting to ride one, hear the siren, and ring the fire bell!!! Here are a few photos ---

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


After this museum, I drove to the next museum!!! It is the Museum of Connecticut History in Hartford, Connecticut. Well, guess what!!?? It is in the heart of the state capitol buildings, it doesn’t have a sign (that I could find!), and there is no parking for a pickup pulling a travel trailer or any RV Parking at all!!! Oh, ya, And the area roads were under construction so the detours were everywhere!!! So, after driving around for about a half hour, I gave up and left for the next museum!!! I guess they just don’t want me to learn about the Connecticut history!!?? Must be something sinister about their history!!!????

Well the next museum is the New Britain Industrial Museum in New Britain, Connecticut! I am sure it is there and I am sure it is a good museum, but I couldn’t find it!!! The address led me to a bank!!?? Also, the area again had no parking for my travel trailer nor and RV Parking. If it had, maybe I could have walked around asking where it was!!!

The next museum is the U.S. Coast Guard Museum in New London, Connecticut. Now to me this is a must see!!! The reason is that I was in the U.S. Coast Guard right after college!! I have always been impressed with this branch of the military, so this museum would be right up my “To Do” list!!! Well guess what --- I found the museum, but no parking for my Travel Trailer. Now, one thing you have to know --- this museum is on the primary eastern U.S. Coast Guard Training Center!!! I will not give up on this one, though!!! I will go back and force my trailer into about five parking spaces and see this museum!!!

Tomorrow, I will also try to hunt down the Submarine for me to tour through!!! It is supposed to be The USS Nautilus!!! I think this is one of the earlier atomic submarines!!! Wish me luck!!!

From here, it was getting to be late afternoon and time to get to an RV Park!!! So off I went and, YES, I did find an RV Park near New London, Connecticut!!!

Well, I am running out of time and things to say, so, with that, I will go for now, but I will see you all again tomorrow. Wish me luck on my museum hunting!!!

Then it is off to Rhode Island!!!

Again, to quote that great comedian, Red Skelton, "Good Night and May God Bless!"

Happy Trails ---- Jon

 

No comments:

Post a Comment