Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I am at Kearney, Nebraska


Hello Fellow Wayward Travelers!!!

Today was spent doing more driving than looking!!! I did see a few sites, but in most cases, the current road just did not go near the old Oregon Trail!!!

So, with that in mind, here’s what I did today! I drove from Bridgeport, Nebraska to Kearney, Nebraska – a distance of about 260 miles … mostly on back roads and not freeways. So, what did I see???

I saw one more of the guiding landmarks that the pioneers looked for. It is called the “Courthouse and Jail Rocks”!!! Here’s a photo of it ---


 
Then I notice … the center of Nebraska is very, very flat!!! It’s like a table top!!! Now I see why the people are called “Flat Landers”!!! Here are a few photos to show my point ---






 

There are some hills, now and again, but it seemed to be flatter than Central Washington --- and with a lot more farming!!! Now the wagon trains stopped at a place called “Ash Hollow”. This place had a number of water springs and nice grassy areas where the pioneers could make camp. It is still pretty now, but the spring water isn’t there. Here are a few photos of the area ---

 
 
 


 While I was in this area I saw a sign for an old stone schoolhouse, so I went to see it. It was built in 1903 to replace the sod one. From 5 to 12 students attended this school until 1919 when it was closed. Here are some photos ---

 
 


Speaking of sod houses!!?? Here is one I came across that was built in 1967 as a fund raising event. Here are some photos of it (How would you like to live in a dirt home??? ---

 
 


Now, about wagon ruts --- I found some more!!! They were at a rest stop along the freeway!!! And someone planted some round hoops to show where the wagons went! Can you see the ruts??? Here are the photos ---




 

Well, I am getting tired, so, with that, I will go for now, but I will see you all again tomorrow. Again, to quote that great comedian, Red Skelton, "Good Night and May God Bless!"

Happy Trails ---- Jon

 

No comments:

Post a Comment