Thursday, June 6, 2013

Explored Fort Bridger and Drove to Lander, WY.

Hello Fellow Wayward Travelers!!!

Today, I explored Fort Bridger and then drove to Lander, Wyoming. I didn't see too much of the Oregon Trail, but it was a wonderful drive.

First Fort Bridger --- you remember the TV show about Jim Bridger, the mountain man!!?? Well, he was real and he did a lot of things, including starting a small fort that grew to be quite the military base for the 1800s! Here's a statue of Jim Bridger - maybe now you can remember him???



His original fort was small, no more than a trading post, blacksmith, corral, and sleeping quarters for his men. It was quite the let down to the Oregon Trail Pioneers! Here's a few photos of the replica Fort Bridger ---

From the outside ---

On the inside ---

The Blacksmith's shop -

Living quarters???


When the army took the site over, it was to protect the settlers from the Indian Uprising and the Army Fort of the late 1800 was as big if not bigger than some we have today. A few of the buildings have been rebuilt and placed near their original spots. Here are some photos to show what they looked like back then ---

Mess hall with the ice house peeking out on the left --


Fort Commander's house ---


Single officers quarters - one of many ---


The enlisted men's barracks were separated from the officers and it looked like there were dozens of these barracks in the fort. Like I said, it was a big fort!!!

From here, I started to drive the Oregon Trail, but it wasn't located near the highways, so every so often, I would come across some signs telling me about the trail --- off in the distance. So I just kept driving until I reached Lander, Wyoming, where I parked my trailer for the night.

I did take some pictures of the country side, so here they are --- NOTE - the area I am driving through is at about 7,000 to 7,500 feet!!! I am on that high plateau that buts against the Rocky Mountains. For a sea level dweller, like me, breathing hard up here is normal!!!??? The photos ---

Lots of bluffs ---




Rolling hills in the background ---

The ever present Rockies ---








I crossed the Continental Divide today and I drove right by the tiny, little sign saying so!!! I would have thought that the highway engineers would have made a turnout so that we tourists could have a photo opportunity!!??? Oh well, no such luck!!!

Well, I am getting tired, so, with that, I will go for now, but I will see you all again tomorrow. Again, to quote that great comedian, Red Skelton, "Good Night and May God Bless!"


Happy Trails ---- Jon

 

No comments:

Post a Comment