Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Explored the St. Louis Arch!!!


Hello Fellow Wayward Travelers!!!

Today, I went into St. Louis, Missouri to see the museum under the big arch!!! As I am driving into town, the sun is shining and the sky is blue. As I come around a corner on the freeway --- here is the ARCH!!!

 

I found a parking place and walked through the park toward the arch. I look over the wall and there is the Missouri River! But, the water is brown and as I look I can see tree limbs and stuff floating in it. It also looks wider than I remember. Then I remember the weather reports the last few days and how this area got drenched with rain!!! That explained a lot!!! Here are a few photos of the Missouri River ---

 
 
 
This tug is struggling to go against the current!!!
 
 
This is a larger than life statue that is on a little waterfront walkway - now underwater!!! It looks like he is calling for help!!!????
 


Now I am nearing the arch and I start taking photos ---






 

I got into the museum after going through security and then went through the museum. Last time I was there, they had a lot of “speaking” robots telling the story of the westward expansion --- today only one was working!!! I was a little disappointed!! Here is a photo of the one (it's Red Cloud, the Indian Chief!) ---

 


Then I left the arch and went to another museum that I had heard about called the St. Louis Museum of Transportation. Now this museum was interesting!!! It mainly has trains and shows their development through the use of full size engines, cars, etc. Here are some of the trains ---

 From a train Stage coach -
 to a trolley car
 Note the name - from our area of railroad!!!
 These are BIG trains!!!
 
 Really BIG!!!
 
 
 
 
 
And you thought you had a good snow blower!!!
 
 
 
Predecessor to the Bullet Train???


They had two airplanes – a Douglas DC-3 and a Lockheed T-33A jet Trainer ----

 
 


And of course, they had some cars!!! They didn’t have many, but the ones they had were special!!! Take a look and see ---




 This is a one of a kind car designed by a Fashion designer, Andy DiDia and owned by Bobby Darin (the singer). It is called a 1960 DiDia 150. Cool, right!??
 
 
 
 
This is the only production car that was built with a turbine engine instead of a piston engine. It is a 1963 Chrysler Turbine. There were a dozen or so made and given to families to test for a few months. The people loved them, but Chrysler decided not to put them into full production and destroyed most of the cars. There are only four to nine cars left in the world and this is one of three that still runs. Note - after this car came out, they tried using turbines in Indi 500 cars, but were banned because they put the piston cars at a disadvantage!!! I have read about these cars, but never thought that I would ever see one!! This is an event to remember!!!
 
 
 
 
Of, course, we must have a few 1957 Chevy Bel Airs ---
 
 
 
and the 1965 & 1/2 Ford Mustang
 
 
AND, the 1965 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray!!!
 

And with that, I went home!!! I had a fun day and I hope you all enjoyed my photos.

Well, I need to get this sent out and then prepare for tomorrow. I will be driving to Ohio tomorrow to a place near where the Wright Brothers flew their airplane!!! So, with that, I will go for now, but I will see you all again tomorrow.

Again, to quote that great comedian, Red Skelton, "Good Night and May God Bless!"

Happy Trails ---- Jon

 

No comments:

Post a Comment