Tuesday, June 4, 2013

On The Move Again - Finding The Oregon Trail

Hello Fellow Wayward Travelers!!!

Well, I got back on the road again, today!!

When I got to Southern Idaho, I got a little lazy with the POSTS!! You see, I have many relatives in that part of the country and I went to see as many as I could. I did well, but not as well as I would have liked. Oh well, maybe next time!!!???

Anyway, I drove from Twin Falls, Idaho to Pocatello, Idaho. I followed the Oregon Trail route as well as I could and got to see some of the same things those pioneers got to see. One was a place called "Register Rock"!! This is where many of the wagon trains stopped for the evening and someone stated carving or scratching their names onto a rock. Soon, anyone who came to this spot did the same and now the rock is protected. Here's a few photos to show what I mean ---


 

One young lad (about 7 years old in 1866!!), drew two pictures - one an Indian and one a preacher. Here are those photos ---




From there, I went to a place called "Massacre Rocks"!!! This is where some Indians attacked a number of Wagon Trains in a certain area and ten pioneers were killed. In this area, I found where the Wagon Trail was very pronounced. Here are the photos to show you ---

Here's the sign pointing the way ---


Here's where the Oregon Trail goes under the freeway ---


Not really, but here are the ruts ---




They are really just a rounded "gully' after 100 years!!!

Here are some photos of the area that these pioneers were traveling (pretty harsh, but pretty!!!) ---





From here I went to Pocatella and to a museum that was a replica of the original Fort Hall. The replica is just about the same size and built the same way. It was quite interesting, but not very big. Here are a few photos of the fort ---








Well, I am getting tired, so, with that, I will go for now, but I will see you all again tomorrow. Again, to quote that great comedian, Red Skelton, "Good Night and May God Bless!"


Happy Trails ---- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment