Sunday, June 9, 2013

Hanging Around Mt. Rushmore!


Hello Fellow Wayward Travelers!!!

Since I was able to see Mt. Rushmore and The Crazy Horse Monuments yesterday, I concentrated on Caverns and museums for today’s activities!!! And I wasn’t disappointed!!! I walked through two caverns and saw an interesting museum.

The first cavern was called Jewel Cave National Monument. It has about 200 miles of tunnels so far and more are being discovered each day. The tour I took lasted about one and a half hours and I saw many different formations and learned a lot about the way the caves are formed in this part of the country. It is difficult to get good photos underground, but here are some of my better ones ---
 
Just remember, I take photos of rock formations that look pretty to my eye and the camera never captures that beauty when I take a photo!!!

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Then, I drove to the next cavern called Wind Cave National Park. On the way I ran into (no, near) a few of these animals ---






 
 
Here are some photos from the Wind Caves (It’s called that because the wind is always blowing through it) ---

 
 
 
 
 
 


The museum that I found was a museum of wood carving!! This mainly showed the works of a man named Dr. Harley Niblack who lived from 1894 to 1966. His carvings are sometimes mechanically animated and sometime stand alone. The can be miniature or life size. I found it interesting and here are a few photos ---

 This one is life size ---
 
 
This one is life size ---
 
 
 


Well, I am getting tired, so, with that, I will go for now, but I will see you all again tomorrow. Again, to quote that great comedian, Red Skelton, "Good Night and May God Bless!"


Happy Trails ---- Jon

 











No comments:

Post a Comment