Saturday, June 15, 2013

In Kansas and looking at Missouri!!!


Hello Fellow Wayward Travelers!!!

Today, I did a lot of driving and ran into just a few historical sites. One had to do with the Oregon Trail and the Pony Express and the other had to do with only the Pony Express.

I left Rock Creek Station in Nebraska and found another similar farm station near Odell, Nebraska called the Hollenberg Station. It was a farm house that was on the Oregon Trail, but that the owner also set it up as a store and such for the travelers of the Oregon Trail. What is unique about this place is that the house was still there, just in great disrepair, so the state of Nebraska rebuilt/repaired the house, basement, and foundation to its original specifications. While the house was raised for its new foundation, archeologists dug under and around the house to find many artifacts related to the mid-1800s. Here are some photos of the outside and inside of the house ---

Seeing the back of the house from the trail ---

The around to the front ---


The first room ---


The store/bar/etc. room ---


The sewing room ??? ---


The kitchen ---



There were other rooms, but I didn't take photos --- it was a big house compared to others I had seen from that time period!
 
From here I started to drive south and east to follow the Oregon Trail and a Pony Express rider passed me as he rode over a hill!!! I was quick enough to snap a photo of him as he rode on the top of the hill and here it is ---

 

Then, after I had crossed the border between Nebraska and Kansas, I notice that Kansas was as flat as Nebraska!!?? And here is the photo to prove it ---

 


Then, I drove into the town of Marysville --- not Washington, but Kansas. I stopped at the Pony Express Museum there and tried to confuse the young lady behind the desk. She asked me where I was from and I said Marysville … Then she asked me my name to see if she knew my family … Then I told her that I was from Marysville, Washington!!! (Washington is a county near Marysville, Kansas so this really got her to wondering about me!!) We finally got it all cleared up and she let me go through the museum anyway --- even if she thought I was some crazy guy off the street!!! Here are a few photos of the area ---




 
 
 
 
 

After I left Marysville, A found a sign pointing to Alcove Springs and I decided to give it a try. Well, it turned out to be a drive down a dirt road for six miles and then I found a nice park with a few signs about how important this place was to the Oregon Trail Pioneers. It was nice, but not six miles on a dirt road pulling a trailer nice!!!! So, I had lunch and left.

The rest of the day involved getting lost, finding my way back and then getting into Topeka, Kansas and stopping at an RV Park just as a downpour of rain occurred.

Tomorrow will be the last of the Oregon Trail because I will get to Independence, Missouri which is one of the major starting points for the pioneers of the Oregon Trail. There is a museum there that I can’t wait to visit. I will take pictures and tell you all about it tomorrow!!!

 Well, I am getting tired, so, with that, I will go for now, but I will see you all again tomorrow. Again, to quote that great comedian, Red Skelton, "Good Night and May God Bless!"

Happy Trails ---- Jon

 

No comments:

Post a Comment