Friday, June 28, 2013

In Plymouth, MA to explore the Area!


Hello Fellow Wayward Travelers!!!

Well, I left Rhode Island this morning and decided that since it was near the weekend and these easterners seem to go camping by the droves, I should get an RV spot for the weekend. So I decided that Plymouth, Massachusetts would be a good pace to leave the trailer as I drove to the tip of Cap Cod and Salem (witch trials, you know!!??) and to Boston to do some sightseeing!!! So that’s what I did and I am now camped out at the Pinewood Lodge Campground until Tuesday. Why not leave on Monday you may ask --- well, the truck is making a funny noise that keeps getting louder as the miles go by and I have an appointment to get it looked at on Monday!!! I think it is an exhaust leak, but let’s see what the experts say on Monday. Let’s also hope and pray that the fix is easy and cheep!!!! If everything goes right, I will be back on the road on Tuesday!!!

Today, after I got the trailer all set up for a little stay, I drove into Plymouth to see a museum on the Pilgrims. It was very interesting how they contributed to the US becoming the nation that we turned out to be!!! I wasn’t allowed to take photos in the museum, so all you get is a few of the outside of the building!!! By the way, this building was built in the 1800s and is the oldest museum in the United States (at least, that is what they said!!!???)!!!

 
 


 Some of the things I found out were that the Pilgrims developed and signed a treaty with the Native American Tribes in the area and it is the only treaty that was never broken!!! Another is that the “Thanksgiving” Dinner that they had was more of a Native American celebration than the Pilgrims’!!! And that turkey was probably at the feast, but that deer meat was more likely the primary meat source --- not turkey!!! Also, did you know that the Pilgrim settlements only lasted for about 75 years before they were absorbed by the rest of the pioneers!!! Anyway, the museum was really good and informative and I enjoyed it!!!

From here I was told to see a very large statue titled, “The National Monument to the Forefathers”!!! It was erected in 1974 “as a remembrance of the forefathers labors, sacrifices, and sufferings for the cause of civil and religious liberty”!!! The monument is about 30-40 feet high and has all kinds of small reliefs and statuettes on it to depict the freedoms that we enjoy today. I was impressed and here is a photo of the monument ---

 


 Now, here I am in the Northeastern USA where lobster is well known and loved!!! Yet, I haven’t had any, yet!!?? So, I thought that this would be a good time to go out for dinner and have LOBSTER!!! Well, I went to a place called Cabby Shack (strange name!!!) and ordered the Lobster dinner (not the tail, but the whole lobster!!) Here’s a photo of the shack ---

 


Here’s a photo of my dinner before I got started on it ---

 
 


And a photo of what it looked like when I was done ---

 

You may not be able to see it, but the plate the lobster was served on had instructions on how to eat a whole lobster!!! That really helped me because it isn’t quite like eating a Dungeness crab!!!

After dinner, I walked along the water and took a few photos. You will notice that the sky is overcast and it was only about 73 degrees out. I talked to a lady walking her dog and she said that the beginning of the week was very warm and she wishes it would warm up again. I told her I was from Seattle, WA and that this felt and looked like home!! I also told her that when I left I would take the weather with me --- and she thanked me for doing that!!!????

 
 
 
 


Well, I am done for the day and I need to plan for tomorrow, so, with that, I will go for now, but I will see you all again tomorrow.

Should I go to Boston or to the tip of Cape Cod tomorrow --- that is the question!!!???

Again, to quote that great comedian, Red Skelton, "Good Night and May God Bless!"

Happy Trails ---- Jon

 

No comments:

Post a Comment