Monday, June 10, 2013

Back Following The Oregon Trail


Hello Fellow Wayward Travelers!!!

Well, this morning I left the Mount Rushmore area and started the drive back south to rejoin The Oregon Trail in Wyoming. It took most of the day, but I started seeing the Trail at about 2:00 PM so I was able to “discover” a few sites before I had to find my RV Park. I also wanted to go through The Fort Laramie National Park, but I ran out of time. I will do that first thing tomorrow morning!!!

The first site I visited today is called “Register Cliff”!!! This is a large Sandstone cliff that the pioneers camped near. Sandstone is a soft rock, so you can carve it with any hard object. The pioneers started carving their names in this cliff and many of them have survived today. Here is a photo of the cliff and the signatures on it ---

 





Now, this activity of carving your name on this cliff has continued even today as you can see by the dates with some of these names ---

 
 
 


The next site I went to is in the same area and is called “The Guernsey Ruts”!!! The Oregon Trail Pioneers drove their wagons on the Sandstone rocks in the area and left very distinct tracks!!! Since this is a soft rock, the wagons and animals wore it down quite a bit and then nature couldn’t just wash it away like it does with dirt. This resulted in the ruts still being here and in good condition!!! Here is a few photos of the ruts and I think you will agree that you don’t need an imagination to see them!!!

 
 
 
 


Well, the weather was getting bad and the rain drops were the biggest I have ever seen!!! So, I went a hunted down an RV Park and I am staying at the Pony Soldier RV Park near Fort Laramie, Wyoming!!! Nice name for an RV Park near an old 1800’s fort, right???

Well, I am getting tired, so, with that, I will go for now, but I will see you all again tomorrow. Again, to quote that great comedian, Red Skelton, "Good Night and May God Bless!"


Happy Trails ---- Jon

 

No comments:

Post a Comment