Thursday, June 13, 2013

I Didn't Drive Far, But I Saw a Lot!


Hello Fellow Wayward Travelers!!!

Today was just one of those days where you find too many things to do and not enough time to do them all!!! What that means is that I expected to be about 150 miles down the road, but I am only about 25 miles down the road!!! What happened, you ask???? Well, I found some very interesting museums that took all my time to explore them!!!

First thing this morning, I left the RV Park in Kearney, Nebraska and found out about a bridge/museum/interpretive center that spans the freeway. So, I went to take a look!!! Here’s a photo from the outside and as you can see, the freeway passes under the building!!!

 



Now this whole span is set up as a museum to the Oregon Trail and on until the freeways were built. It has sites, sound, and movies going on to give you the whole experience as you are walking through. I thought it was very good!!! Here are a few photos from inside (They don’t do the place justice like walking through does!!) ---

 










From here I drove to the Fort Kearney Historic Site. It wasn’t as well done as the Fort Laramie Site, but it had a nice story to tell!!! Here are some photos of the site ---

 The Parade Grounds ---

The ammo dump ---




From there I drove to the Pioneers Museum in Minden, Nebraska. This is a collection of memorabilia that tells the history of the Nebraska and our country from the stand point of our products. The man who put this together, Harold Warp, seemed to collect everything!!! As he puts it, “I want to show man’s progress since 1830!” and that is what he is trying to do!!! It has so much to see that it took me all afternoon of fast walking and taking photos to get through it in the one afternoon!!! Here are a few of the photos I took (most are of the old cars, but bear with me!!??) ---

 



From covered wagons to cars!!!














This is his washing machine collection ---


This is a collection of pen and pencils!!??



 And that isn’t all the photos that I took or what I saw!! This place was HUGE!!! It was fun going through it!!!

Hopefully, tomorrow, I will get farther down the road. Of course, my health isn’t helping --- I caught the first cold that I have had in years --- and I don’t like it!!! Also, the weather report calls for THUNDER SHOWERS over the next few days!!! One of the places I am going predicts almost an inch of rain in a day --- I better make sure I carry my umbrella that day!!!???

Well, I am getting tired, so, with that, I will go for now, but I will see you all again tomorrow. Again, to quote that great comedian, Red Skelton, "Good Night and May God Bless!"

Happy Trails ---- Jon

 

No comments:

Post a Comment