Saturday, June 29, 2013

I Spent the day in Boston, MA today!


Hello Fellow Wayward Travelers!!!

Well, I decided to go to Boston for the day. It was a great day and I loved it, but one day is not enough!!! My schedule doesn’t allow any more time there, so it will have to do. I want to say up front that I absorbed a lot of history, saw a lot of things, enjoyed a lot of good times, but didn’t take many photos!!! I will apologize now for the lack of photos!!

My RV Park is an hour away from Boston. As I got near the city, I ran into a traffic jam on the freeway. I thought that something big was going on, but I never figured it out. The one thing I know is that in the old part of Boston, there were more tourists than at the business centers of most cities or even at the mall on sale day!!!

A number of you E-Mailed me to be sure to get a guild and take the walking tour of Old Boston --- so I did! I started at this tourist center in The Commons (Boston’s big park in downtown!!). Here is a photo of the tourist center ---

 


And here is our tour guild, Julie Sergeant ??? (I forgot her last name, but she was a revolutionary artist in the mid 1700s). Of course she is in 1750s dress!!! And, no, she is not carrying a bottle of beer, but a bottle of water ---

 
 
Now, today started cloudy and cool, with just a hint of rain – my kind of Seattle weather, but within a half hour of the one and a half hour tour, the sun came out and it got hot!!! It went to 85 degrees in no time and, it was humid!!! I was sweating like a pig!!! Anyway, on with the tour!!!


As our group of 30 or more people walked through the Commons, Julie explained that this was where the “stocks” and hanging trees were located. She also said that those people who died from their punishments were buried in the Commons in mass graves!!! She says they know because as they were renovating part of the Commons park, they dug up about 300 sets of bones!!! Now there is a little bit of history that you won’t find in the history books!!! Believe it or not!!!

Speaking of graveyards, we went to one of the oldest graveyards in the country!!! Here we found the tombs of some of the people that we read about in our history books!!!

John Hancock ---

 

Paul Revere --- His Monument

 

His Gravestone --- 

 

Samuel Adams ---

 

And here are a couple of general photos of the graveyard ---

 
 
  

Then we continued our walk and came to the building where the meetings were held to discuss the taxes that were being imposed on the colonies. This included the tax on tea which led to the Boston Tea Party!!! Many building were used, but this is one of them. It is now also a museum which I went through and heard the same stories as out tour guide, Julie!!!
 

 

Not to keep the new Boston out of the photos, here is a photo from The Commons showing the mix of the old and the new ---

 

During my tour, I happened across an old looking Used Book Store. As most of you know, I am a sucker for used book stores and collecting First Edition books of my favorite authors --- so I went back after the tour, just to browse around!!!??? Well, I found two First Edition books by Isaac Asimov!!! One I already have in my collection, but the other is now a new addition to my collection --- yes, I did buy it!!!!

By this time, it is mid-afternoon and I was really hungry!!!! So, I found a restaurant and had Lunch/Supper!!! Keeping to the Boston theme, I had New England Pot Roast!! The serving was so big that I will have it for dinner again in a few days!!!

I had heard that the sailing ship, Old Iron Sides, was open for tours, so I went there to see it!!! After getting lost a number of times, I arrived at the ship ten minutes after the last tour!! So, I walked through the museum and took a few photos of the ship --- from afar!!!
 

 

As I was walking back to my truck, I spotted a really neat house and took a photo --- It looks like one the captain of a sailing ship would own!!!???

 


From here, I drove back to my trailer to make plans for tomorrow!!! We are off to Cape Cod!!!!

Well, I am done for the day and I need to plan for tomorrow, so, with that, I will go for now, but I will see you all again tomorrow.

Again, to quote that great comedian, Red Skelton, "Good Night and May God Bless!"

Happy Trails ---- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment